Responsibilities of the Employer
Employers will need to ensure their apprentice is given a formal induction into their role and provide on-the-job training.
By Employing an Apprentice, employers have certain responsibilities they must follow:
- An employer must be paying the apprentice at least the national minimum wage for apprentices.
- The apprentice must have a signed Contract of Employment prior to enrolment on the course.
- All apprentices must receive the same benefits as other employees.
- All employers must ensure apprentices complete 20% off the job training during the qualification.
- The apprentice must be paid for both the hours they spend working and for those they spend studying during working hours.
- The apprentice must not be asked to contribute financially to the cost of the training.